Friday, June 24, 2005

Friends

by Marjorie
I just wanted to link to a post on Donna's blog that I really enjoyed about friends. She mentions how it seems like its harder to make friends as we get older. I agree -- it seemed so easy long ago. Then again, maybe it really wasn't any easier.

Anyway, I often think in terms of 'time and place' friends and real friends. T&P friends are those people we share time and place with but the friendship fades soon after the time and/or place changes. I had some really nice friends from my various places of work -- I really enjoyed them, but didn't keep up with any of them. I had some new mom friends that seem to have faded away. Life goes on, I'm glad I shared time and place with them but things change and I made new friends, some T&P, but some maybe be in for the long haul.

It makes me really appreciate my husband, who is my best friend and (barring some indescretion which would ruin his life and cost him a lot of money) with whom I'll spend the rest of my life. But, he's not a girl and I need girlfriends, too. I really cherish the friends I have -- how lucky I am. Life is a lot less lonely when you've got friends.

I guess this post is just a note of affection to Anne, with whom I shared time and place -- but whose friendship is continuing beyond that. I'm lucky to have you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

most of my frineds are time/place type friends. like you I consider my life partner my best friend.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

Hey D-W, I won't dock you liberal points if you called her your 'wife' because I believe you are wedded! :-)

CM, you reminded me of the next wave of 'dating' -- the couples date where you're already married and then you're trying to find couples that fit both of you whom you enjoy [but not in some weird 'swinging' sort of way]! After the 'date' my DH and I sit around, just like we're teens, wondering if they liked us as much as we liked them. We spent a lot of time pining for Rick-and-Anne, but alas, I'm afraid it was an unrequited 'crush.'

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home