Sunday, May 22, 2005

Who Is the Beholder?

by Marjorie
I've been pondering my toe-nails for some time now. Bored housewife or social radical? (guess it really isn't a political issue)

Warm weather is finally coming to the DC area and I've been donning sandals as of late. My habit is to start painting my toenails in the spring and through summer. I've never had a manicure or a pedicure and at this point in my life, I wear that as a badge of honor (along with never having had my hair 'done' or having visited a tanning bed. I'm not a natural woman by any means, one of my greatest joys in life is dyeing my hair and has been for a couple of decades). Polished toes look kind of nice, though, so I paint them. Its a pain and I've been known to wear chipped polish for a week before I repaint -- and then there is the all-consuming question of whether to just put another coat on to hide the chips or to remove the polish and re-apply.

Whatever. I don't feel like polishing my toe-nails anymore. My toes look fine -- they are toes. I flatter myself to think they are not my most attractive feature so whether I should call attention to them by painting them is yet another question. My toes don't look awful unpainted -- they do in mid-summer when the polish has yellowed the nail a bit.

Anyway, as a social reactionary (or perhaps an antisocial person), I feel spurred on in my decision not to paint my toes by Anne's post on her other blog, Economom. For whom do I paint my toes? I paint my toes for me and I don't want to do it anymore.

Don't worry, I'm not about to stop shaving or burn my bra (I need that lift and support).

3 Comments:

Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

This is funny. My husband happens to think nail polish is absolutely hideous. So on the rare occasions I do it, I certainly do it for myself and my kids. My two preschoolers love nail polish!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped painting my toenails about 2 years ago after a case of toenail fungus. They are well now and they look beautiful. I have decided to never paint them again.I wear my sandals with pride and even get comments on how shiny and clear my nails are.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

I'm with you, Anon, I think my toenails look nice natural and healthy. They certainly look better than they did with chipped polish!

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home