Friday, May 06, 2005

On An Even Keel

by Marjorie
(I wonder if I spelled that right...)

Mike's comment on my Elastigirl post got me thinking. What if sometimes a cartoon is only a cartoon? Well, no, it didn't get me thinking that, but it does make me wonder about opinions and balance.

I am a woman of strongly held opinions. I like being that way, but I'm finally recognizing that it might be an impediment to compassion, understanding, and peace. Anyone reading through Unclimber and Barely Attentive Mother can see that Anne and I have gone at it on various issues with me blundering around in absolutes and her suggesting a bit of moderation and understanding.

Sometimes I fear that any attempt to moderate myself might end up diluting my passions. As a creature of passion, I cannot imagine life without passion. Then again, I long for more patience and understanding with my kids. I constantly remind myself that these small creatures are also vulnerable and delicate and that they really don't need mommy yelling at them in an attempt to relieve her frustrations (it never works anyway).

A final concern is that if I moderate my opinions I will become wishy-washy and aimless, unsure of anything and unable to make a decision.

Well, I think I can safely try to exercise a bit more empathy without becoming a door-mat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

I hope so, too!

I feel certain much of the time, only to change my mind and feel I'm wrong and then feel terrible that I'd been so certain!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home