Sunday, May 15, 2005

Cake Talk

by Marjorie
If I make a cake, I use a boxed cake -- I think they taste great and its so easy. I was chatting with a couple of moms at Suzanne's birthday party today about it (Suzanne is still young enough where her friends are mostly my friends' kids, so I really enjoyed the guests at the party). These moms told me that baking a cake from scratch is pretty difficult, that they often turn out dry. This made me feel like I have a good reason to use a boxed cake -- not only is it easy, its actually better than scratch.

However, frosting is a different matter. I don't care for canned frosting -- too sweet, not enough flavor, chemical aftertaste. When I make frosting, I use my mama's recipe (she probably got it from somewhere, but I don't know where). Its easy and yummy and here it is.

Mama's Heavenly Frosting

In a screwtop jar, add 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons flour. Shake until well mixed. Pour into a small saucepan and put on stove over medium-high heat. Stir constantly until it forms a paste. Remove from heat and let cool completely.

In a bowl, cream together 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup sugar using a mixer. Add the paste and 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix until fluffy like whipped cream. Frost cake or eat straight.

For a chocolate version, I simply add 1/3 cup cocoa powder. You might want to adjust the amount to taste -- I love a strong chocolate flavor.

Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

My husband tends to make cake from mixes, but go all elaborate on the frosting. I bake from scratch -- I've never had a recipe from The Cake Bible go wrong -- but do minimal frosting.

My mother in law is allergic to most food dyes, so we pretty much have to make it from scratch if she's going to eat it.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home