Saturday, September 10, 2005

Potty Blogging -- the un edition

by Marjorie
Good news, Gabrielle, almost 3, is completely trained. The bad news is, she knows everything she does in her pull-up and refuses to use the potty. Sigh. Oh well -- she is at the point where I can ask her to do her more significant elimination processes at home. I don't know if she's complying with my request, or if she only feels comfortable at home or at my parents'. Regardless, changing her in public is really easy -- she just steps out of her wet pull-up and into a dry one. Does this make me happy? Not really, but it is what it is.

Even though I'm not a fan of rewards (but am a fan of Alfie Kohn), I did try to persuade her to use the potty with an offer of chocolate. That worked for Suzanne but its not working with Gabrielle. It was amusing -- I told her she could get 3 squares of chocolate (from a Hershey bar -- that would be 1/4 of a serving size to Henry) for using the potty. Not only did she refuse, later, when I asked if she wanted to use to potty without mentioning any rewards, she shouted "no chocolate!"

We shall see -- Suzanne was completely potty-trained at 3 and 2 months, maybe her sister will be the same. Maybe not.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

I am trying to interest my 3.5-year-old son to use the potty for the solid end of the spectrum, so far to no avail. My offer of heretofore off-limits M&Ms has been rebuffed over and over again.

Good luck with your daughter!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my friends did the logical thing and told her son (he may have been closer to 4, though!) that he was old enough to use the potty, and he would just have to change himself. He said, "Then Daddy will do it." Deanne said, "Daddy's never changed a diaper yet - I doubt he'll do it now." So Sam said, "Grandma will do it," and Deanne said - "You can't go to Grandma's with dirty pants," so Sam did it himself for one day & always used the potty after that.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home