Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Potty Blogging, Again

by Anne Zelenka
If you couldn't already figure out that I have nothing to say based on my lack of recent posts, now you will be convinced. I am going to write about potty training again. This is what gives mom-blogging a bad name, but I know there are many bloggers out there with twoish and threeish and fourish kids who might be interested.

We started two-year-old Laura in undies a few weeks back. She sat on the big toilet (with a little kids' toilet seat on top) a few times but then started refusing to try, even when I offered m&ms. This is the child who wakes up and says, "more food, mommy!" as though her life is just one unending cycle of eating punctuated by other less important activities. I guess she was getting a little scared of the big, bad toilet. Somehow she got in her mind that she needed a little potty--a "purper potty." Her favorite color is purple. Her second favorite color is orange.

KMart didn't have a purple and orange potty. But they did have a pink and purple one, a Disney Princess one, of course. I paid my twenty bucks and she immediately began using it regularly. In fact, she has switched almost entirely to undies now. She refuses to wear diapers even at night. I pleaded with her a couple nights ago because I didn't want to get woken up in the middle of the night to change sheets but this only hardened her resolve. Maybe that's part of the key to potty-training a two-year-old--make her think you don't want her out of diapers. I guess she knew better than I did how ready she was: she slept through last night and the night before without an accident. Unfortunately, Laura doesn't yet realize that she needs to hit that purper potty immediately upon getting up.

My diaper days are virtually over! So no more potty blogging.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

Wonderful news -- I'm so happy for you guys!

As for me, I think Gabrielle will be moving straight from Pull-Ups to Depends. Oh well, she should be able to change them herself soon enough.

5:54 AM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Awww, good for her!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Mother in Chief said...

I'm still looking for the perfect bribe to get Toddler in Chief on the potty. I might have to take away all of his cars and every time he uses the potty during the day, he'll get to pick another to play with. Granted, he's only 28 months, but he's smart about so many things that I know he grasps the concept... he's just choosing not to do anything about it.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Anne Zelenka said...

Suzanne - We used individual Thomas the Tank Engine train cars as initial bribes when my now-nine-year-old Henry was just getting started and then a big roundhouse for some major achievement (maybe using the potty for a week? I can't remember what).

Your car idea sounds better though. Our approach was very expensive and didn't work that well! Thank goodness my two girls were easier to potty train.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home