Sunday, July 17, 2005

Coming to a Theatre Near You: Barbie Zero

by Anne Zelenka
Anna's been diligently working over the past couple weeks on "Barbie Zero" the first in a series of films about Barbie and her paramour Bryan. What about Ken, you ask? We don't have a Ken doll. We have a Ryan doll, and Anna translated this into Bryan.

Let me tantalize you with the first scene from Barbie Zero...

Two attractive dolls are wandering around on the coffee table. They see each other and shake hands.
Barbie: Hi, my name's Barbie.
Bryan: Hi, I'm Bryan.
Barbie: Want to get married tomorrow?
Bryan: Okay!
Barbie: See you tomorrow!
Bryan: Bye!

Where does a four-year-old get this stuff? I suppose from the Disney princess movies where the main goal in life is to meet and marry a handsome man. That's an easy target for ridicule except that being married is associated with higher levels of health and happiness. As long as you don't put all your hopes and happiness in long-term love, I think it's a worthy goal to aim for.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

It might be the age. We live in an anti-Disney Martial law house and Suzanne keeps talking about her dolls looking for husbands. I have no idea where this comes from -- she's not into fairy tales, so I haven't read her many.

It must be like so many men presume, the search for male companionship is just hard-wired into us.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Anne Zelenka said...

Maybe they just get it from the relationships around them. I found out in a later scene of Barbie Zero that Bryan was previously married with a child from his first marriage (not sure who he was married to as we only have two girl Barbies and one has been identified as Barbie's mom). I think Anna got this from knowing that my parents are divorced--it's something she's asked and wondered about a lot.

3:22 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Kids sort through life by acting it out a lot, I think.

BTW, I tagged Chocolate and Peanut Butter for a meme just in case you're interested. :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

Thanks! I'll take you up on the meme, I'll post it over on unclimber.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh the Barbie Movie...
Somewhere hidden deep in the cupboards of FL there is an episode of the CBS soap "Bold & the Beautiful" I created with stop animation and a couple Barbies and Kens. My Barbies always had a strong soap influence. When I played, they always lived at Northfork--yes, across the road from the Ewing Southfork. Weddings, marriage, and children from previous entanglements are commonplace on soaps as they were with my Barbies. Or maybe that is true with all Barbies everywhere. ;) --Julie

11:17 PM  
Blogger jon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home