Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Picture Book Recommendation: The Quiltmaker's Gift

by Anne Zelenka
My four-year-old Anna discovered The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau with pictures by Gail de Marcken among the books in our basement. de Marcken's watercolors enchant; I would love paging through them even if I didn't enjoy the story. Publisher's Weekly called it a "somewhat pedestrian fable." But walking can be good exercise. The story shares a lesson we in America need to hear more: happiness isn't for sale at Wal-Mart or Neiman Marcus.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

This is a beautiful book -- another friend recently mentioned it to me. I got it from the library, but Suzanne didn't seem very interested at the time. I thought the story was very nice and who wants fairy tales that run anyway?

4:10 PM  
Blogger david said...

Sounds like a book my wife showed me The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey.

I am very glad that some children's publishers insist that children need to see art in at least some of their picture books instead of the cartoonish stuff that dances thru the pages of most illustrated books.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

Hi Kwake,
One of my central preoccupations these days is children's books. I agree that there are a lot of cartoonish books and books based on licensed characters (which I generally eschew), but there are lots of great books out there. As you know, I have a lot of book reviews on unclimber and I will likely add to them here -- and I'm glad to see Anne's recommendations too!

I did read an article in the Horn Book (a periodical about children's literature) that a trend in publishing is to have celebrity authors. I've seen these books out there but haven't really looked at any. While I shake my head at this dumbing down of books (realizing I'm being close-minded), I am not worried because good books will always be appreciated. It helped to see Cindy Crawford's book in the bargain bin.

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home