Monday, May 16, 2005

Funny Movies

by Anne Zelenka
I'll see any movie with Ben Stiller in it. I also like Steve Martin and I'm really excited that he's starring as Inspector Jacques Clouseau in the new Pink Panther movie coming out sometime this year.

Last week we chanced upon Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights on TV. Thirty minutes into it was bedtime for Henry and Anna, so I turned it off figuring we could order it from NetFlix. The first half hour was hilarious. Sadly, it's not available on DVD. Meanwhile, we have a whole new set of movies to check out: everything by Mel Brooks. I wasn't too into his films in the past but I need that slapstick humor now and nine-year-old Henry loves it.

We've modified our movie-watching habit so that Wednesday night is kids' movie night (an animated film or other kid-appropriate movie) and Saturday night is adults' movie night. The adults sometimes watch with the kids and vice versa, but not always. This Wednesday we're watching Spaceballs, a Mel Brooks spoof of the original Star Wars trilogy. The best and most disgusting character in it is Pizza the Hut, dripping with cheese and meat toppings. On Saturday night we'll enjoy Meet the Fockers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

Me too -- I LOVE Ben Stiller. Perhaps its the whole dark haired, light eyed thing? We rented episodes from his failed TV show in the 90s from Netflix. It was pretty funny in parts, but not in lots of others. Lots of lampooning Fox TV shows.

We recently saw Starsky and Hutch. I may have a thing for Snoop Dog. We loved Meet the Parents, but turned Meet the Fockers off halfway through. I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Loved Dodgeball and Ben shows up in Anchorman briefly for a news team street fight that I thought was hysterical because it had so many stars in it. But it might have been lame.

Oh, and Zoolander...loved it. "I bet you thought I didn't know what a eugoogly was."

5:54 AM  
Blogger Anne Zelenka said...

I had heard that Meet the Fockers wasn't so great. Too bad, because the first one was hilarious.

To me, Ben Stiller is the funniest guy ever. I can't describe why he's so funny to me, he just is.

I didn't ever see Zoolander; I'm going to put that on our NetFlix queue now.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Marjorie said...

I don't know if Zoolander was objectively very funny -- but a Ben Stiller fan will definitely enjoy it!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home