Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Can you feed your family dinner on less than $10?

by Anne Zelenka
How much does it cost you to put together a quick and healthy dinner for your family? I'm happy if I can do it for under fifteen dollars for my family of six made up of three children and three adults (we have a live-in nanny). My favorite dinners these days are the ones that I don't have to cook. Last week I bought a roasted chicken, a bag of coleslaw mix and a tub of premade mac and cheese for a little over fifteen dollars. I carved the chicken and mixed a quick mayo dressing for the coleslaw. The mac and cheese heated up in three minutes in the microwave.

When my kids eat the "adult" main dishes, it is harder to do budget meals. My nine-year-old son Henry has recently begun eating meat. I make Italian Sausage Burgers with a pound of ground beef and we hardly have enough for the five members of the family who love them. They're so delicious it's no wonder we fight over them. You mix ground beef with Italian sausage seasonings like fennel, thyme, and paprika. Then form it into patties and broil on one side for five minutes. Turn over, spoon on plain tomato sauce, top with a thin slice of mozzarella cheese and broil for another five minutes. The recipe is from Express Lane Cookbook by Sarah Fritschner.

If I weren't in Hawaii, I bet I could do budget dinners for ten dollars or less. What about you? What does "budget dinner" mean to you and what are your favorites?

3 Comments:

Blogger Marjorie said...

I don't know what my meals cost, but I bet they are pretty cheap since we don't use fresh meat much. I've gotten several good recipes from The Vegetarian Express Lane Cookbook and The Can Opener Gourmet

2:43 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

I just found your new "blog." Actually, Carol discovered it and I went there (came here?) this morning. I'm glad to see you have a new impetus since I have enjoyed all of your efforts.

Dad

6:30 AM  
Blogger Anne Zelenka said...

Hi Dad and welcome to my new hangout! Glad you found it.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home